Idea: set "short-URL" for episode & auto-setup redirect

Hello!

I recently saw the Podlove redirect settings being rather cleverly used to set one up for a short URL that was printed into hand-outs. Since I also sometimes see shortened URLs to obviously PPP-powerer podcast posts on social media, how about adding a function or module that enables setting a short URL for each episode and automatically creates the necessary redirect rules?

Similar to the slug being generated from the title, this short URL field could be populated automatically with for example the 1st significant, unique word from the episode title. The literature reference manager Zotero does this for BibTeX keys by dropping a list of insignificant words from an article title, to create citation keys á la author_keyword_year.

This could even help bring back the mnemonics :wink:

could you give an example on how you’d like these URLs to look like?

All the Freakshow episodes I checked are set up that way. Manually, I presume, or with some kind of custom-made script? I would consider freakshow.fm/fs150 to be such a good looking short-URL :wink:

Or, I set up konscience.de/achmi just now. Anything like those can easily be displayed in a presentation or printed, even before an episode is published. But having it automatically set up while preparing an episode for publication would eliminate that bit of work.

it’s not a setup. it’s standard Wordpress pattern matching. you get that for free

Ah-ha m-)
The mnemonics and automation aspects of my idea are moot then. However, there are still cases in which podcasters may wish to use some other significant, defining keyword in a short URL.

Again, if you could come up with some concrete examples we might consider this.

Some kind of episode numbering has been on our list for a while but we have not yet decided on the details. mnemonics, show numbers, seasons and other identifiers are common and need to be combined under one convincing concept.

Again, if you could come up with some concrete examples we might consider this.

Some kind of episode numbering has been on our list for a while but we have not yet decided on the details. mnemonics, show numbers, seasons and other identifiers are common and need to be combined under one convincing concept.

Ah, OK! I didn’t have a larger context in mind for this. Hm… With WP’s own pattern matching taking care of expanding the “episode number URLs”, the use-cases would indeed be limited to situations whenever episodes need to be referenced with a significant keyword (from the title), instead of the logical, but not necessarily memorable abbreviation + number.

• announcements by presenters like “There will be a recording of this at…”
  • referring to episodes in conversations
  • conference podcasts could additionally use the speakers’ last names as short-slugs