Chapters not working in Overcast or other apps

I have been using chaptermarks for a couple of episodes now and it works great on my wordpress site. It does however not work in any phoneapp (that i have tested in). I always thought that i needed to embed the chapters in the mp3 to make it work in overcast (my preferred player).

I just read Erics newsletter about chapter marks and it seems it should work in most players just adding the chapters to the feed. Can it have something to do with me using the new podlove player? (here is an example of chapters working fine in the player but not in apps http://harduintesettden.se/buffypodden/buffy-summers-class-protector/)

The way I see it, you did understand everything correctly.

[quote=“JBenjaminsson, post:1, topic:553”]
I have been using chaptermarks for a couple of episodes now and it works great on my wordpress site.[/quote]
Here you must be talking about Podlove Simple Chapters - not about chapters within a file. Nice to hear it works as it should.

That assumption should be correct since most players can not read Podlove Simple Chapters (yet). Therefore the chapters have to be written into the file.

[quote=“JBenjaminsson, post:1, topic:553”]
I just read Erics newsletter about chapter marks and it seems it should work in most players just adding the chapters to the feed.[/quote]
The way I experience it, Podlove Simple Chapters are not very common in apps yet. Unfortunately.

Now the question is: You seem to do it the right way. Why doesn’t it work though?
As far as I know, Overcast does support mp3-chapters by now. How did you add your chapters into your mp3-file?

1 Like

Oh, the “Publisher Weekly” mail made it sound like overcast supported the simple chapters :S .

Adding it to the file is just too much work. I have tried it though. With some old app for windows that i found. The only other app i found for windows is Auphonic but i already use the desktop app for levels. Then uploading it to the web app just for the chapters is really cumbersome. Transferring the file to my mac is also to much work (there are better apps for chapters for the mac).

The coolest thing would be if someone made a plugin for audacity to export labels as chapter marks when exporting the mp3.

[quote=“JBenjaminsson, post:3, topic:553”]
Adding it to the file is just too much work.[/quote]
So you are not adding chapter marks to your .mp3 files? If you are not, then this is the answer to why Overcast won’t display chapter marks.

It is in fact hard to find a good app (for Windows) to add chapters to .mp3 files. I don’t know a single (up to date) app that’s able to do this. I guess Auphonic is still the best way to do it. There are a few tools to add chapters to .m4a files, but not for .mp3 files.

Eric answered me on email and admitted that the “Chapter Marks” newsletter was a bit misleading. You definitely need to add it to the file too.

Using auphonic.com to add the meta data is the best way. Specially with the awesome integration between podlove and auphonic. It autofills all the fields when creating the production. Feels a bit weird running it through the processor again without really doing anything to the sound. Also, running it twice through the processor costs a tiny bit more money but totally worth considering the time i save.