Delete all analytics data?

Hi all,

I just recently had some problems with my server / provider / amount of traffic. Sad that my provider thinks that success -> high traffic is a problem, but hey. Thing is: I had to reduce traffic a lot, and I decided to deactivate Piwik (…) and all Podlove tracking. I have tracking in Podseed, that should be sufficient.

Now, what can I do to remove all previous tracking data from my various installations without messing up? Can I safely delete all rows in podlove_downloadintent tables? I want to clean up so backups run faster and produce smaller files. I’m fine with losing analytics history (didn’t have analytics data from the beginning of any of my podcasts anyway).

Thanks,
Toby

Yes, you can safely empty the following tables if you want to get rid of all analytics related data:

• podlove_downloadintent
  • podlove_downloadintentclean
  • podlove_geoarea
  • podlove_geoareaname
  • podlove_useragent
1 Like

Thanks Eric, very helpful and worked like a charm :smiley:

I got a similar problem. The data is becoming pretty big. How can I reduce it without deleting all of it. The suggestion here seams to be to empty the table but that resets it to zero, right?

Yes, deleting any data results in that data being lost. All metrics are regularly being recalculated so it will affect old data if you delete old entries. If you don’t mind that, I would suggest to

DELETE FROM podlove_downloadintent WHERE accessed_at < "2019-01-01 00:00:00"
  • make a backup first though :wink:
  • insert any date of your choice
  • don’t bother with podlove_downloadintentclean, it’s being emptied and recalculated regularly

Side note: Because I’ve implemented this a few times in other projects, I learned about more efficient / space saving ways to do this. I’m not sure though if I’ll ever get around to rewriting this because migrating that data would be a horror scenario where so much can go wrong.

1 Like