Idea for a Podlove Hosting Service

Hi Podlove Community

I’m self-employed doing full-stack web development (mainly Ruby & Rails), having my own company in Switzerland since 4 years. I myself am really into podcasting, not only listening, but also watching the Podlove project grow and using the Publisher for two corporate clients here in Switzerland since half a year.

I came up with the idea of a “Podlove hosting package” that includes:

• an optimized and “managed” environment to run Wordpress & Podlove Publisher hassle-free (PHP, caching layer, webserver, etc)
  • an asset host for all your Podlove-related static assets like audio files
  • and the really important thing: Support for the whole stack and somebody to blame :wink:

So, what do you think? Does such a service sound useful to you? What are your painpoints on running and maintaining Wordpress in the context of podcasting?

Also, feel free to send me a direct message if you’d like to get in touch with me directly.

Best
Sebastian

2 Likes

I heard of Podigee. As far as I can tell, they use a custom system and are not relying on Wordpress and/or the Publisher (seems like the site is built with Ruby on Rails).

My vision is to build a service for people who like the Publisher and the comfort of a platform like Podigee, but don’t want to depend on a platform. So my idea is to be a provider for an optimized environment for the Podlove Publisher.

@timpritlove: Are there any plans to decouple the Publisher from Wordpress?

Offering managed Podlove Publisher hosting is something we’ve thought about from day one. Until now, nobody has taken the initiative.

WordPress hosting is not easy for various reasons—but it’s been done before so there’s nothing stopping you if you want to try.

Not in the foreseeable future.