Podcast Web Player Not Appearing in Episode Posts

Since the 4.0 upgrade, my episode pages no longer display the web player with the episode file loaded into it.

WordPress version: 6.4.1
PHP version 8.0
Example: - Law of Attraction Podcast LOA Today
I have version 4.09 of Podlove Publisher installed. My template code is as follows:

{% if not is_feed() %}
{# display web player for episode #}
{{ episode.player({template: “compact”}) }}

{% endif %}

{% if not ( is_front_page() and is_home() ) %}
{# display download menu for episode #}
{% include “@core/shortcode/downloads-select.twig” %}

{% endif %}

For me, nothing at all is shown anymore. No Title, Text nor the player. Just updated, and now everything is broken.

SOLVED!

I included a template and in there I just needed to remove {% spaceless %} and {% endspaceless %} and now it works!

@ericteubert I’m still waiting for help with this ticket!

Oh I thought I fixed this but apparently not. You need to remove this line, that template uses the now unsupported spaceless tag.

Until fixed, you can replace it with this:

{% include "@core/shortcode/downloads-buttons.twig" %}

I made the change you suggested, but the player still doesn’t appear on the episode pages.

Does it work if you replace the whole template with nothing but {{ episode.player }} ?

No, it doesn’t.

Then please enable debugging in WordPress (see Debugging in WordPress – Documentation) and check your PHP error log for errors (specifically ERROR and FATAL; notices and deprecation warnings can be ignored)

I tried that. but I didn’t get any errors or FATAL messages.

So I installed the Issues Tracker plugin instead to make sure I didn’t do something wrong with setting up debug. It successfully generated the debug.log file with a test entry:

[05-Jan-2024 16:27:01 UTC] PHP Notice: Demo log entry in /home/loatoday/public_html/example.php on line 1

That’s it. There are no ERRORs or FATAL messages.

I had to use Player v4 which works - what ever I do Player 5 does not appear. Nothing has changed on my site at all - Interest to follow the resolution and fix on this. I tried to rollback the Player 5 plugin, and source it locally and not via CDN - still doesn’t work

@Jo.lockwood Where are you getting Web Player 4? It’s not available via Wordpress plugins, as far as I can see.

@ericteubert This issue still needs work.

In the Podlove settings (on WordPress) there is a player tab and on there is a dropdown - you can chose V4 or V5 on there

Thank you. I tried the setting you suggested, but it still isn’t working for me. My issue must be different from yours.

@ericteubert I’m still not getting any errors in the WP error log. However, I"m finding a few errors in the PHP log. Maybe they’ll give you a clue as to what’s happening?

[15-Jan-2024 22:41:14 UTC] WordPress database error Unknown column ‘country_flag’ in ‘field list’ for query INSERT INTO wp_istkr_404_log (path, referrer, user_agent, ip, country_flag, country_name) VALUES (‘/mp3/2024%20loa2048.mp3’, ‘n/a’, ‘PHP/8.0.30 (; ) cURL/7.61.1(OpenSSL/OpenSSL/1.1.1k; zlib/1.2.11) Wordpress/6.4.2 (; ) Podlove Podcast Publisher/4.0.9 (; )’, ‘174.138.190.182’, NULL, NULL) made by require(‘wp-blog-header.php’), require_once(‘wp-includes/template-loader.php’), do_action(‘template_redirect’), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, ISTKR_HooksController::istkr_template_redirect, ISTKR_404Controller::istkr_handle_404

[15-Jan-2024 22:41:14 UTC] PHP Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/loatoday/public_html/wp-content/plugins/issues-tracker/services/ip.php on line 46

The second one is occurring fairly frequently.

Sorry I don’t know how to help you unfortunately.

The first error seems to come from some tracking/analytics plugin that is broken (tries to write into a database table that is missing a column).

The second one comes from the “Issues Tracker” plugin.