Provide keywords in feed [was: How to add categories to podcast feed?]

Hi!

I’m wondering how to add categories to a feed. Currently my feed just shows “Sports & Recreation”, hence also in e.g. player.fm it shows up just with “Sport”.
I think this is important because people might do a keyword search and podcasts will only show up if they are listed appropriately.

I found out that other podcast very well have a lot of categories.
I remember that somewhere in the settings there was a pulldown but I even can’t find this anymore although I clicked through all settings (although the pulldown had very limited options to select).

How can I add/manage categories of my feed?

Regards,
Bernhard

Hi Bernhard,

you can change the categories of your podcast under Podlove --> Podcast settings --> directory --> iTunes categories.

I’m using Podlove in German but I think these are the names in English.

Ok, I found it. Unfortunately, there is a very limited choice.
Is there no way to add some custom tags?

I found this on other podcast, e.g. on player.fm (s. attached screenshot).

Regards,
Bernhard
tags

Nobody knows how to add tags to the podcast feed (except this very limited itunes selection)?

Hi Bernhard,

I don’t know where the tags are from. You could ask player.fm. But the iTunes categories are defined by Apple.

Meanwhile I looked at several feeds to find out how other podcasts provide keywords.
The key is that they provide an <itunes:keywords> tag which contains a comma separated list of keywords. These keywords then appear on the podcast portals (e.g. https://player.fm, podcast.de).

Unfortunately, a search within this panel reveals that exactly this feature was removed in 2.4.0 (see Release 2.4.0).

Is it possible to discuss this again?

IMO keywords are essential for a podcast to be found by listeners.

Regards,
Bernhard

Here is what player.fm says:

Feels icky to go against specification and Apple/iTunes removed them, which is why the Publisher removed support for the tag. I guess some clients/directories still use this data as it’s still in some feeds and nobody has proposed a replacement for it yet. I tend to lean towards following the spec, however I’m not totally convinced here.

You could also use WordPress hooks to inject it into the feed yourself. https://github.com/podlove/podlove-publisher/blob/master/lib/feeds/base.php#L205

add_action('podlove_append_to_feed_head', function ($podcast, $feed, $format) {

$keywords     = "my, keywords, here";
    $keywords_tag = sprintf('<itunes:keywords>%s</itunes:keywords>', $keywords);
    echo "\t" . apply_filters('podlove_feed_itunes_keywords', $keywords_tag);
    echo PHP_EOL;

}, 10, 3);

Ok, I understand your concern about the specification breach.
Thanks for the hint, I’ll add it manually as suggested. I think it is important to have keywords even though Apple removed them.

I created a super simple WP plugin to set such keywords.
Maybe somebody is interested: