Summary of shows module episodes not in RSS Feed

Hello good people,

I’m working on a podcast project, and I’m using the Podlove Publisher for managing it. Currently, I’m encountering an issue where the summaries of episodes in the RSS feed aren’t displaying as expected. I hope someone can assist me in resolving this problem.

In my podcast project, I’m utilizing the “Shows” module to manage shows and their summaries. However, I’ve noticed that when I create shows, the summaries of the episodes within those shows aren’t correctly displayed in the RSS feed. Instead, it appears that the RSS feed is utilizing the summaries of the shows. I did not encounter this problem with multisite podcasts or single podcasts, so I conclude that the shows module has something to do with it.

I’ve reviewed the relevant code in the Podlove Publisher repository and found that the summaries are being altered in the override_feed_summary function in shows.php. Maybe the episode summary information is overlooked at this place?

I would like to understand why the show summaries seem to be overriding the episode summaries in the RSS feed and how I can ensure that the episode summaries are correctly displayed in the RSS feed.

If anyone can assist me in troubleshooting this issue, I would greatly appreciate it. Any help or guidance is valued.

Thank you in advance for your support!

Best regards,
Arne ‘Codenaga’ Ruddat

Hi,

The override_feed_summary function overrides via the podlove_feed_itunes_summary hook, which should only affect the summary on the channel level, not the item level.

The summaries on the item/episode level have their own filter podlove_feed_itunes_episode_summary, which, as far as I can see, is not altered by the Shows module.

So at least from looking at the code, I can’t see an issue at the moment. Maybe if you could provide some screenshots of the relevant settings, I might try to reproduce your issue locally.

Hey, thanks for looking into this!

I’m not sure about how the code works, but I can show you what results I get.
I have a Wordpress Installation with the current podlove player installed and the shows module activated. One of the shows is called ‘Postskriptum’ and has a show summary.
Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-31 um 11.10.06
The podcast episodes of this show have each dedicated summaries of their own like this.
Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-31 um 11.14.01

when I look at the show in Apple Podcasts, the summaries of the show is correct but the summary of the episodes in the overview is the summary of the show instead of the episode.
Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-31 um 11.08.37
It is the correct summary in the episode detail view though.
Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-31 um 11.08.51

Maybe my settings are wrong somehow?